Sunday, June 28, 2009

Mommy Makeover

Whoever coined the phrase, "the joys of motherhood" had a sick sense of humor. Until recently did I realize they were just being sarcastic! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Isabella but motherhood isn't on my good side--yet. And whenever I have "those" moments, it just brings a smirk to my face; if only I could get my hands on whoever thought of that phrase, I'd give them a piece of my mind.

However, the irony of joy from being a mom shouldn't let one look beat down; nor should one give in and wear ugly-mom-shoes. Yes, they're comfortable but if they're ugly... just don't do it. And since we're all waiting to win the Lotto... in the meantime, I thought of some economically friendly mommy makeovers. Hopefully these will help make over all of our beings by bringing out the best in us (I like to think of myself as a whole. When a part of me is "sick," it affects all of me--physically, spiritually, emotionally. Thus, treating the entire body, mind, and soul makes the most sense to me.)

  • I believe inner beauty brought outward is THE best makeover. When you're genuinely happy and elated, your face is more radiant. After much agony of why I have been so miserable lately, it hit me that I was spiritually ailing. I was starved of spiritual sustenance because I had been just filling up on desserts, whip cream, light and fluffy appetizers.. frequently but not enough. The answer? Set aside time to talk with God--literally. Yes, prayer can be done in the car during your commute, while you shower, while your baby is screaming or throwing a tantrum but on top of those moments, you need solid time with God. Jesus started the day in prayer, in an isolated and dark place. Many times, I have a hard time falling (or staying) asleep. Now, I've decided to take that as a cue to pray and read the Word. It takes discipline and practice but almost anything in world does, so why should we not here?
  • So you're smiling ear to ear because God's given you a sense of peace that transcends all understanding [through prayer and petition, Phil 4:6-7]. If you yellow teeth from all the coffee you've been drinking, you need to use Crest WhiteStrips. Just a few minutes a day will make a huge difference!
  • Get a good haircut. This is one of the areas I don't believe in going cheap on. It doesn't mean you have to pay $70+ for a haircut but do keep going to the hair stylist that does a good job, even if you have to shell out 70 buckaroonies.
  • Good Suds. There are sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners available on a budget nowadays. The sulfate chemicals (basically detergent) found in most shampoos are harsh on hair and it strips your hair of its natural oils. I covet nice shampoos but I'm not quite convinced they are worth $30 for a month's worth. Loreal has a sulfate-free line that I've been enjoying. And by looking at my hair, I'd say it's doing a good job at protecting it and keeping it glossy.
  • Be pimple free; we're too old to look pubescent. I've talked about this before and I just have to reiterate the importance of skincare. More than the actual lotions/creams you use, wash with a gentle but effective cleanser and use moisturizer! Also take care of your skin by resting up and drinking lots of water. Those two things are free: cha ching!
  • Be comfortable in your own skin. Another "freebie" but this comes with age and wisdom it seems. For me, it's come post-Isabella. When you look like you're not trying too hard, I believe you're at your sexiest. That even applies to your actual clothing. I still like to wear heels but it just doesn't make sense to wear those on a daily basis when out and about with the stroller. I suggest finding some comfortable flats (the key is finding one with a flexible rubber sole!). And wear clothes you don't have to fuss around with: no tugging, fixing, or pulling. You look more ridiculous wearing that shirt, blouse, dress, pants than you think you do.
  • Have a laugh. Seriously. Be able to laugh at yourself and then LAUGH! Those feel good endorphins will be swimming all around and it's contagious so don't be surprised if your babe is giggling too!
And there you have it. My budget friendly makeover, voila! You are the fabulous self you know you are.


No comments:

Post a Comment