Monday, April 13, 2009

The Mommy Uniform

I swear there's this secret cult of mommies everywhere that make it look like they have it all together. [But it's not really a secret because they're easy to spot.] In my area, they wear the uniform. It usually consists of a Juicy tracksuit or some other type of exercise wear (but they do really exercise??) like yoga pants, a sleek sneaker like pumas--nothing bulky basically, a designer handbag, shades and/or a baseball cap (but not for an athletic team of course). A good number of them also sport nice jewelry--bigger the better and shinier is best. I secretly aspire to be a part of this cult.. I'm just waiting to be initiated.

My real topic though is the face and the "uniform" I choose to wear daily. I'm not a makeup pro by any means so I don't often takes risks or do anything edgy. Instead, I find what works for me and pretty much stick to it until I find something better. I'm sure any makeup artist will agree (or will they?)... since the skin is the canvas for your makeup, you need to take care of it first. Instead of investing in nice makeup, I'd invest in some solid skincare. As you can tell, I'm all about cult followings. I proudly use La Mer serum and cream for the face, Guerlain eye serum and La Prairie eye cream currently. [I'm on the lookout for something new though and welcome any suggestions.] Yes, a bit pricey in the beginning but really, these products last a long time and every now and then if you get so lucky, you can get a deal on them! [Saks has Friends and Family starting THIS Thursday, April 16, and cosmetics are 15% off. I'm headed there today to put some things on pre-sale! **that's how serious i am**]

For makeup, I have a pretty standard ritual: I mix a dollop of Neutrogena's Dry Touch Sunscreen, spf 70, Revlon's Skin Brightener (it's like an illuminator that I think is sadly discontinued), and Laura Mercier's Oil-Free Tinted Moisturizer. It applies pretty sheer but you can adjust the proportions to give the coverage you like. Next, I use Makeup Forever's eye concealer under my eyes and a little on top then set it all with Laura Mercier's Loose Mineral Powder. Blush is next and I use NARS Orgasm; and really, I've found it's in the technique of application and the tool you use that's really key. I used to brush it over my entire cheek and... not.a.good.look. You end up looking chubbier that way in my opinion. Just a dab on that round little circle near the highest point of your cheek looks best (is that called the apple??). I line my upper lid (right under your lashes) with Chanel's waterproof pencil [I'm also on the lookout for a cheaper version of this.] and finish it off with Too Faced's Lash Injection-Precision. I really like Fiberwig too though and am going to switch back once this tube is gone.

Overall, it creates an effortless look--not too done up or the *gasp* frumpy look. I also carry with me about 2 different lipglosses and use them when I remember. The above might sound intense but if you, like me, aspire to be in this cult.... well, no pain no gain is all I have to say.

3 comments:

  1. i can't believe i read through this whole entry. the funny thing is, i always notice when a girl does her makeup "wrong," which basically is synonymous with overdone. i figure makeup is good for two things, hiding things you don't want seen and accentuating things you do what seen. but it is an art form. it's funny when i see high school girls try really hard to make it look good. i feel for them. i get it. but like any art form, it really does take a lot of time and effort to master. poor kids. and beauty, in my opinion, true beauty, should be effortless. i think it's more something a person exudes, rather than what people see. just my two cents. good entry. keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. spf70? are you serious?
    hah. i love your entries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i need some serious spf 70 out here. have you ever used powder sunscreen? i wanna try. btw - how'd you like the sk-II stuff?

    ReplyDelete